Carl Magnus Hutschenreuther, trained as a porcelain painter, was a real pioneer. In 1814 he was the first private person to launch a porcelain factory in Bavaria.
His son, Lorenz Hutschenreuther did the same in 1857 in the town of Selb. The two companies competed but finally became one in 1969.
Lorenz Hutschenreuther’s factory became enormous and was one of the most influention porcelain producers in Germany in the first half of the 2th century.
Hutschenreuther became part of the Rosenthal group in 2000. This is somewhat ironic, because in the time Rosenthal was founded Lorenz Hutschenreuther was the example to follow.
The brand is still produced. Popular old designs like Maria Theresia are still available, Hutschenreuther’s tradition of the annual table bell is also still honoured.